Thursday, September 23, 2010

I took this photo on vacation with my boys last month. It tugs at my heart. There are parts blown out and the noise from using high iso shouts obscenities at me, but I love it anyway. It is the first picture in a long while that has what I have been longing to feel when I look at my images but can't seem to manifest, through all the rule following and ideas of perfection I have ruling my brain most of the time.

It gives me hope and brings me to tears. Because there is a part of me I stopped listening to. I don't know when or why I stopped listening but I did. It is this creative voice that started me on the path I am on and I feel a deep need to encourage this voice. Yet it seems counter productive to establishing a business where clients know what to expect. If my work keeps evolving who is to say they will like what I create for them. I think this is why I stopped listening to the voice that encouraged me to really explore, to take risks.

There are so many blessings in my career right now, yet I feel frustrated, tired and burnt out. The pressure to make money, to please clients who I want nothing more than to love, I mean love the images they pay me to create, and the business aspects that require so much energy to stay on top of is weighing on my soul.

So today after meeting one big deadline only to be faced with lots of client work, I took a moment to revel in this image that reminds me that the voice is there, I just have to find the courage and conviction to follow it...

8 comments:

  1. That is beautiful Thea! You are courageous, beautiful and crazy talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it IS beautiful...in part because you loosened up and just let yourself be you. the blowouts help make it...and part of learning the rules, is so that you can break them artistically...just like this...you have a beautiful vision...xo*michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know I never fully got that saying"learning the rules so you could break them". It is a whole new way to look at it, rather than having the rules weigh you down, they can actually set you free. Thanks so much for the feedback-all of you ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. would you be so surprised to find out how many of us feel this way? probably not because it's soooooo true. i love how you expressed it.
    i've tried writing about this here and there but i stop short...because i don't want my clients to read it. fear. and fear always holds us back.
    bravo to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this photo!! i struggled with that, trusting my voice and breaking the rules and how that all fits together with client expectations. but yes when you know the rules, you can bend and break them to let your artistic voice out and express the beauty that you see. and i think your clients will appreciate those photos the best because they bring out the truth. your creative voice is beautiful like you and your heart. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. so proud of you. it starts with a risk--and the result is more freedom in the work, and in yourself.
    grateful we connected. more, please.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. keep listening to that beautiful and naturally creative voice of yours, my love.

    i have never looked at a rule book for these very reasons. i am a virgo and tend to want to do it all perfect, so if i go the opposite way and just play, it somehow comes together. this is one of my favorite photos of yours. i am a softy for grainy images.

    love you.

    ReplyDelete